Changes in the Regulation related to testing requirements before travelling to Latvia entering into force on 15 January 2021.
- The person has to carry QR code available after filling the form on the home page covidpass.lv.
- International carriage of passengers allowed to/from all EU and EEA countries, Switzerland and the United Kingdom via airports, ports, by buses and railway transport.
Testing requirements for the persons entering the Republic of Latvia
The person may enter the Republic of Latvia based on the following requirements:
- If the person carries negative Covid-19 test performed up to 72 hours before arrival in Latvia or
- If the person carries another medical document certifying that the person is not infectious.
Language requirements of the test result if the person enters by carrier:
- If presented to the carrier before boarding, it could be in a national language from the country the person is travelling to Latvia;
- If presented to the State Border Guard or the State Police after their requirement it should be in English, French, German or Russian.
Language requirements of the test result if the person enters by a vehicle, which is not a commercial transport:
- If presented to the State Border Guard or the State Police after their requirement it should be in English, French, German or Russian;
- If the person enters from Lithuania and Estonia, test result can be presented to the State Border Guard or the State Police in Lithuanian or Estonian.
Additional information/ requirements if the person enters by carrier:
- The person should present to the carrier negative Covid-19 test or another medical document certifying that the person is not infectious. The carrier visually examines the document the person carries. If the person is not carrying either one of the documents, the carrier can refuse boarding.
Additional information/ requirements if the person enters by a vehicle, which is not a commercial transport:
- By filling the form on the home page covidpass.lv, the person certifies carrying negative Covid-19 test or another medical document certifying that the person is not infectious. If required, the person should present the documents to the State Border Guard or the State Police.
Requirements mentioned above does not apply to:
- children under the age of 11;
- the persons, who can prove they have received necessary doses of the vaccine against Covid-19;
- the employees of the transport and carriage of passengers service providers, the service members of passenger carriage, cargo and technical;
- seafarers who must reach their work place aboard a ship or must return from it;
- employees of foreign diplomatic and consular missions, international organisations and their representations who are accredited in Latvia and their family members;
- the persons arriving in Latvia upon an invitation of the President, the Saeima, the Cabinet or its member, the Constitutional Court, the Supreme Court, the State Audit Office, or the ministry;
- diplomatic couriers of Latvia or foreign countries or ad hoc diplomatic couriers who present an official document which states their status and the number of parcels in the diplomatic bag;
- holders of the diplomatic passport of the Republic of Latvia, technical personnel accompanying them, and the civil servants and employees of the diplomatic or consular service when performing the official functions.
- passengers crossing the territory of Latvia in transit travelling by connecting flights, without leaving airports control area and staying not longer than 24 h, as well as citizens of Lithuania and Estonia and their family members and persons permanently residing in those countries, who enter Latvia for departure from the airport “Riga” and can present the flight confirmation.
- citizens and permanent residents of the EU Member States who cross the land border of the Republic of Latvia with other EU countries on a daily basis:
- due to employment if border crossing is necessary for performing work or service duties and the person has a document attesting to the fact of employment;
- for the receipt of a child supervision service or for the acquisition of formal pre-school education on site (by presenting a statement issued by a service provider or educational institution);
- for the acquisition of formal basic education, secondary education or higher education on site, also in vocational orientation education
- programmes in the fields of art and culture (by presenting a statement issued by an educational institution);
- when accompanying a minor student or a student of full-age and with special needs (by presenting a statement issued by a service provider or educational institution to the student);
- citizens and permanent residents of the EU Member States who are declared in Valka municipality and Valga rural territory and who cross the land border of Latvia and Estonia on a daily basis, provided that they do not leave the administrative territories of Valka and Valga local governments;
- other categories of persons if the State Border Guard finds that they complies with international law, national interests of Latvia or is associated with force majeure circumstances or humanitarian considerations.