This year, 57 companies have received nominations in the Export and Innovation Awards’ five categories. The nominations are based on information from the Central Statistical Bureau and data analysis related to each company’s exports, value added, profitability and number of employees. Participants also presented to the jury, which considered companies’ development plans, investments in human capital, sustainable growth and cooperation with research institutions. The success of companies in marketing their products to foreign markets was also assessed.
This year too, Latvian companies have demonstrated good results with export growth of 31% in the first nine months of the year.
“Exporting companies have successfully adapted to the new situation and continue to perform well. The growth is not only inflation-driven, but also applies to the volume of products and services sold. The activity of exporting companies is also reflected in the demand for export support, which reached historically high levels in the second half of this year,” said Kaspars Rožkalns, Director of the Investment and Development Agency of Latvia (LIAA).
The competition has five categories: Export Newcomer, Export Leader, Export Champion, Innovation Champion and Most Exportable New Tourism Product. A jury of representatives from financial institutions, business organisations, the Ministry of Economics, LIAA and the media selected the nominees. “This year marks a milestone in the organisation of the award, with the strongest companies being nominated for the award based on the methodology used as the basis for the Export Barometer, a platform we developed together with LIAA. We want to draw attention to the achievements of exporters, their contribution to the national economy and the growth potential of Latvia as a whole,” says Līva Stūrmane, the Executive Director of the Latvian Exporters Association The Red Jackets.
- Export Champion nominees: SIA Mikrotīkls, SIA Httpool, SIA Real Web.
- Export newcomer nominees with turnover of 50 to 200 thousand euros: SIA Forma, SIA Printrest, SIA Smart Aero.
- Export Newcomer nominees with turnover of 200 thousand to one million euros: SIA Working Clothes Service, SIA Int-Sol Unlimited.
- Export Newcomer nominees with turnover of more than one million euros: SIA Latvia MGI Tech, SIA Pulsar Optics, SIA Kohsel.
- Export Leader in knowledge-intensive bioeconomy (small to medium wood processing companies): SIA Latgran, SIA Graanul Invest, AS Stora Enso Latvija.
- Export Leader in knowledge-intensive bioeconomy (large wood processing companies): SIA Kronospan Riga, SIA Latvijas Finieris, AS Latvijas Valsts meži.
- Export Leader in knowledge-intensive bioeconomy (small to medium food producers): SIA Karavela, SIA Baltreids, SIA Vilomix Baltic.
- Export Leader in knowledge-intensive bioeconomy (large food producers): AS Dobeles dzirnavnieks, AS Tukuma piens, AS Balticovo.
- Export Leader in biomedical, medical technology and pharmaceutical industry (small and medium enterprises): SIA Icotton, SIA Madara Cosmetics, SIA Stenders.
- Export Leader in biomedical, medical technology and pharmaceutical industry (large enterprises): AS Olainfarm, AS Grindeks, SIA E. Gulbja laboratorija.
- Export Leader in photonics, smart materials, technology and engineering systems (small and medium enterprises): SIA Knauf, LSEZ SIA Caljan, SIA Light Guide Optics International.
- Export Leader in photonics, smart materials, technology and engineering systems (large enterprises): SIA Lexel fabrika, SIA Mikrotīkls, SIA Bucher Municipal.
- Export Leader in smart energy and mobility (small and medium enterprises): SIA Malmar Sheet Metal, SIA LSEZ Caljan, SIA Leax Rēzekne.
- Export Leader in smart energy and mobility (large enterprises): SIA AKG Thermotechnik Lettland, SIA Bucher Municipal, SIA Dinex Latvia.
- Export Leader in information and communications technology (small to medium enterprises): SIA Estoty, SIA SAF tehnika, SIA ISP Optics Latvia.
- Export Leader in information and communications technology (large enterprises): SIA Mikrotīkls, SIA Tele2, Tieto Latvia.
- Innovation Champion: SIA Latvijas Mobilais telefons, AS Grindeks, SIA Aerones Engineering.
- Most Exportable New Tourism Product: JA Travel, Don’t Panic in partnership with Skudras Metropole, Via Vitalité vitality academy, Vizium science centre, interactive history exhibition at the Jelgava Holy Trinity Church Tower, Mrs Hoijere’s guest house – museum of interiors in Liepāja.
Honouring Latvian entrepreneurs
The competition is organised by LIAA in cooperation with the Ministry of Economics, the Central Statistical Bureau, The Red Jackets, and the financial institution Altum, which will present a special award for Safest Exporter.
The competition aims to honour Latvian entrepreneurs who have achieved good results in the production of new and exportable products, introducing innovations, and promoting smart specialisation, as well as the creation of exportable new tourism products. The winners will be announced at an award ceremony on 14 December, when the patron of the competition, President of Latvia Egils Levits, will congratulate the participants.
The awards ceremony will take place in the renovated premises of the Riga Circus and streamed live on LIAA’s Facebook page and news website delfi.lv.